Join the Conversation in Classroom 2.0
Create a Poll/Survey
Here is a screen shot of the text poll I created. I really like this site and can see one day using it with my students.
Blog about your explorations!
For the mobile learning lab I chose to explore iPads, iPhones, and Flip Cameras. They all intrigue me and I would like to learn how I could use them in my classrooms.
iPads
Apps, Apps, Apps! All I hear when someone mentions the iPad is how amazing the applications are. In fact, I read that the Apple website advertises over 140,000 apps for the iPad. After some researching I found I there are some amazing ones.
Below are just some of the apps I found that I can use in my English classroom.
- Free Books
- SAT Word Lite
- 3D Classic Literature Collection
- ElectriLit
- Classics
- iBooks
- Pronunciation Pro
Besides an abundance in educational apps, I feel the iPad offers students a new way to be active learners. The iPad has a motion sensor that allows students to use their hands to control some things they see on the screen. I imagine this is a feature kids enjoy using. I have seen some really amazing interactive books and games and some cool music and physics apps. There is also a GPS map app that lets students observe places. Finally, I think the iPad is useful for students to use when working with groups. I have read there is an app that allows students to meet online to share ideas and work on projects.
iPhone
After researching the use of smart phones in the classroom, I have mixed feelings about using them in the classroom. I know there are some fun educational ways for students to use them and they help motivate students. I also understand that using a technology that students love to help them learn may make them feel more connected to the subject and/or fellow students. I just do not know if I like the idea of students being on the “grid” all the time and especially in the classroom. I see many ways in which students can abuse the smart phone, such as:
- Texting and sex texting
- Spreading rumors
- Cheating-taking photos of tests or texting each other the answers
- Recording teachers and other students during class
- Distracting phone calls coming from parents or friends
- Playing games during class
- Taking pictures during class
Flip Cameras
The last learning lab I explored was Flip Cameras. One thing I really like about the Flip camera is the price. It is also so easy to use that students will be able to figure out how to work one within a matter of minutes. The lab gave examples of how the flip camera can be used in every content area and in so many creative ways. I especially like the idea of a class using the camera to send a get-well message to a sick classmate or teacher. I also think using the Flip camera to make “bookcasts” is a great way to get students excited about reading. I would love the chance to use a Flip camera in a brick-and-mortar classroom, though I do not like that you can only record one hour of video at time.


Thanks for your post! I especially appreciate your thoughts on the iPhone. Although I think the potential is phenomenal...we need to consider why NOT to integrate them...and there are many reasons. Additionally, we need to find time and space to be disconnected from our devices that become our tethers...
ReplyDelete