Monday, November 7, 2011

PC Maintenance and Security Workshop


Tutorials I chose:

1.    Setting up Search Preferences in Google
2.    Exploring the Settings of Firefox
3.    Comparing and Contrasting Hardware and Software Firewalls

1.  Which tutorial did you choose?

 Setting up Search Preferences in Google

For my first tutorial I chose Setting up Search Preferences in Google because I have an 11, 15, and 17-year old at home and I am always looking for additional ways to protect them. 

2. What was on thing you learned that you will definitely be sharing with others?

I learned from the tutorial that we could set Google search preferences to control the web pages that appear in our search results.  There are three setting to choose from.  The first is strict filtering, which is great for young children.  They will not be able to see any explicit text or images.  The next setting is moderate filtering and it’s the default filter.  This is the setting I have on my computer.  The last setting is the do not filter search results; if one chooses this setting they may be surprised by the distasteful language, nudity, and violence that may appear on their screen.  I also discovered that one can set the number of search results to appear to up to 100 and when you click on the result it can be set to open in a new window.

3. Was there any information that surprised you?

Honestly, all the information surprised me!  Even though I teach online, when I watch these tutorials I feel like a novice in so many areas.  It never even crossed my mine that I can control my search preferences.

 Exploring the Settings of Firefox

1.  Which tutorial did you choose?

Exploring the Settings of Firefox

The next tutorial I chose to view was Exploring the Settings of Firefox because even though I use Firefox, I do not know much about how it works.

2. What was on thing you learned that you will definitely be sharing with others?

While viewing this tutorial I learned about using the privacy buttons on Firefox to set passwords.  Clicking on the view save passwords for all web sites can set passwords.  There is a downside to using this preference in that people who use your computer may be able to see your passwords.  You can set the master password button to make Firefox more secure and you can clear your private data.  I also found out how to use the cookies button to allow sites to set cookies, and view all the cookies, if I want.  The content button controls blocking or unblocking pop up windows.  The update buttons give you control over when to install the updates.

3.  Was there any information that surprised you?

Again, I was surprised by everything and realize how much I have to learn.  I also realize that I need to watch every tutorial that Atomic Learning offers.

1.    Which tutorial did you choose?

Comparing and Contrasting Hardware and Software Firewalls

The last tutorial I chose is about Firewalls-Hardware Versus Software.  I chose this tutorial because I know nothing about the topic. 

2. What was on thing you learned that you will definitely be sharing with others?

The tutorial started by saying that if one had high speed Internet or a wireless connection they need both hard and software firewalls because their computer is always on.  The good thing about hardware firewalls is that it hides your computer from the Internet and blocks incoming traffic that you did not originate.  Software firewall must be installed and is recommend for high speed Internet and wireless Internet.

3.  Was there any information that surprised you?

I was surprised how complicated firewalls are to understand.  The tutorial did not really explain their functions.  After I watched the tutorial I spent about an hour researching the topic and watching other tutorials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment