Learning Styles
“Learning style is a particular way in which the mind receives and processes information.” (Carter, et al.,1999).
During my research of learning styles, I discovered that in today’s classroom it is very important for teachers to be aware of students’ learning styles. Teachers need to help each student to be successful and to reach their full academic potential. Being aware of learning styles can help a teacher meet these goals. Teachers need to be flexible when dealing with learning styles and realize that no two students are alike and each have multiple learning styles. They need to try to present lessons that can reach all students and learning styles.
Below, I have listed some of what I believe are the benefits of knowing a student’s learning style.
- The learning style affects the level of student learning success
- Knowing a students’ learning style prepares the teacher to be better equipped to teach
- Help students understand others/each student brings something different to the classroom
- Introducing a variety of teaching methods can motivate and engage students
- Teacher aware of a students’ learning style can adapt their teaching to fit students’ needs
- Being aware of learning styles outside the classroom can help in students’ counseling needs/problem in courses
My research also led me to the conclusion that it is critical for teachers to know their own learning styles. There are eight different learning styles:
- Verbal-Linguistic Intelligence
- Logical-Mathematical Intelligence
- Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence
- Visual-Spatial Intelligence
- Interpersonal Intelligence
- Intrapersonal Intelligence
- Musical Intelligence
- Naturalistic Intelligence
I learned from taking an online test through LdPride.net that my top three learning styles are Linguistic (Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence-Word Smart), Visual/Spatial Intelligence (Picture Smart), and Intrapersonal (Others Smart). I found my results to be very interesting and I believe accurate.
Below are brief definitions of my learning styles that I found at http://snjones.myweb.uga.edu/page2.htm
Verbal-Linguistic Intelligence—ability to communicate through language (listening, reading, writing, speaking)
- Visual-Spatial Intelligence—ability to understand spatial relationships and to perceive and create images (visual art, graphic design, charts and maps)
- Intrapersonal Intelligence—ability to understand one’s own behavior and feelings (independence, time spent alone)
My teaching style has influenced my teaching strategies in a number of ways that I never really realized before my research. For example, my strong Verbal-Linguistic Intelligence makes me (I believe) an effective teacher. I enjoy writing, story telling, listening, and speaking with my students. When I was in a brick-and-mortar class I spent quite a lot of time talking with my students. Now, as an online teacher I spend a lot of time writing to my students. I also love using humor as a way to connect with my students. While I cannot see myself as a poet, I do believe I make a good teacher and I’d make a good politician. My second learning style, Visual-Spatial Intelligence influences my teaching in several ways. As an online teacher I enjoy using images and photos to connect and instruct my students. I am very artistic (I draw) and I tend to picture things in my head. My third style, Intrapersonal Intelligence, seems to me to be the most complex since it involves relating and understanding other people. I believe I am very intuitive and that I relate very well with my students. I think this style has helped me to have very effective group discussions and team projects with my students. Also, I believe this style has helped me to build strong trusting relationships with my students. They know I care about them, which I think creates a sense of mutual respect and class unity.
Finally, my research on learning styles and my in-depth look at my own learning styles has led me to the conclusion that I cannot just teach my students using only my learning styles. I have to take into account all eight learning styles when trying to teach. I need to try and find creative ways to reach students with the Musical/Rhythmic style as well as the Bodily Kinesthetic style and other styles. I also realize that I can learn in other ways too, which will make me a more effective teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment