Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Getting Things Done/My Workflow System

Experimenting Creating a New Workflow System

How I collect
I organized my process using my computer and by putting my resources into folders on my desktop.  One folder I labeled Right Away and other folders I titled misc. 1,2,3, and so on.

Going Through the Process
First I went through my "stuff" and decided what I didn't need.  If I didn't need it I threw it away.  Then I created and named folders that I used for specific content that was ready to be organized and put away.  Next I divided what was left into labeled folders (Misc, 1, 2, 3, and so).  Some things  were  too important to put in folders so I just left them on my desktop.  In the end, I put the items left on my desktop into a folder that I titled  Right Away.

Organize, Review, & Do
Next, I looked in the Right Away folder and worked on the items that had due dates that I knew must get completed first.  Then I started working on items that didn't need to be completed right away (a later due date).  I tried to work ahead because I know with my workflow another project or assignment will be coming soon. Then I moved onto the misc. folders,  working on the items in  order of importance. I tried to clear out all my folders.  I had some items left in my folders that I ended up not needing to address right away, so I put them in a folder labeled Possible Later Date.

After going through the process the first time, I think my workflow worked  pretty smoothly, but in the end I still found myself with folders containing items that I didn’t know if I would ever use or need.  I seemed to be moving items to and from different folders. I plan to keep my new workflow system, however, I think it  needs some work.  I have to develop  a way to be more efficient so that I can save even more time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment