What are some things that you have learned about effective teaching strategies when integrating technology?
The use of effective teaching strategies when using technology is very important. I have learned that for students to learn using technology there needs to be a set of standards and goals to support the teacher’s strategies. Technology allows teachers to introduce concepts in new ways, which can bring about more efficient and effective learning. There are several effective teaching strategies when integrating technology I have learned since taking CEP 811. Some of them were introduced to me in the lesson on UDL principles. The guidelines answer the what, how, and why of learning and listed many strategies for teachers to use that follow the guidelines. Exploring the WebQuest lesson also introduced me to many strategies, as well as the STAIR and Website lesson. With the STAIR assignment, I created the lesson plan and decided on the strategies to use. It helped me to effectively decide the technologies to use in my lesson. I learned that you have to look at the “big picture" when deciding on what technology to use/teach in the classroom. It has to have meaning to the student and be educational and engaging at the same time.
Some of the strategies I learned are:
Active Learning
- Lectures-whiteboards/web conferencing
- Discussion boards
- Cooperative learning groups
- YouTube
- Explaining
- Computer assisted instruction
- Scaffolding
- Website
- WebQuests
- Blogs
And more!
How did integrating web-based technologies help you think about and evaluate uses of
technology?
technology?
Integrating web-based technologies helped me to think about an evaluate technology in many ways. At the beginning of the course we learned about FTP/AFS, which allows people to upload and transfer files from one computer to another. With the use of netfiles.msu.edu, Michigan State students are able to store documents, images, graphics, photos, podcast and more. This gives us the ability to share the uploaded files (with their FTP address), or embed them on our websites, blog, and other places. I am amazed by this technology because before taking CEP811 I did not even realize it existed. I can’t imagine making my future website or wiki without the use of this technology.
Another web-based activitity is called Merlot, which is an incredible resource site for educators. Our first Merlot lesson was to upload a lesson plan to our AFS space at netfiles so that we could make it viewable to anyone on Merlot. In another activity were asked to contribute our STAIR projects to Merlot and comment on our teammate’s projects. Merlot allows us to share our resources and get resources from other educators.
The STAIR assignment was extremely useful because it allowed me to build an interactive lesson using technology, totally from scratch. One reason I enjoyed it so much was because I could interact with it and view it as if I were a student.
The MACUL site has also proven to be a valuable resource. I have read so many helpful tips and learned about new technologies. One I just read about is called popplet. It is a tool that you use to make brainstorming charts, but they can be made using images, pictures, charts, graphs, graphics, and words.
In session six, we learned about two documents the state of Michigan created to help teachers get ready for online learning in their classrooms. One of them, the Online Experience Guideline Companion Document is loaded with many incredible resources to use technology in the classroom.
Finally, two of my favorite assignments were the evaluating a WebQuest and making my own website. In the webquest assignment I had to choose a WebQuest and evaluate it in terms of standards, effectiveness, pedagogical strategies, and its technology capability. This was a very useful lesson because I now know how to choose and evaluate a WebQuest to use in one of my courses. I also have to say that I am amazed at the number of free WebQuests available on the Internet. I found making my own website one of the most useful and fun assignments in CEP 811. I know my students will benefit from a class website. The ability to supply a large quantity of resources, plus the connections my students will make with each other and me will, I believe will help motivate and engage my them.
How have you met your own personal goals for learning about technology integration?
Since beginning CEP 811 I feel I have met some of my own personal goals for learning about technology integration. My goals have been to expand my knowledge of technology and how I can use it in the classroom. One of my biggest goals since starting the master’s program was to learn how to make a website. After completing the website assignment, I am happy to say that I can successfully make one and I am in the planning stages of making my first one for my American Literature class. I have decided to use Weebly because I really like the drag and drop features and I find it very easy to maneuver through.
Another goal I have met is a deeper understanding of online learning and how I can apply technology to my classrooms and when designing my lessons. In learning about the UDL principles, I now know how to design my technology lessons with all different types of learners in mind. A clear fact I have learned from this course is, not to use technology just to use technology. The importance of thinking about the learners’ needs must be taken into consideration and to use the right kinds of technology for the lessons I design.
Do you have any new goals? What are your plans for reaching your new goals and your long-term goals after this course is over?
I have many short-term plans I hope to implement after this course is over. My first is to make a class website for my American Literature class. I plan to use Weebly because I really like the functions. I also would like to explore Voicethread and how I can use it in my classrooms. I am thinking it may be a good way to have my Public Speaking students deliver their speeches. I would also like to make some short extra credit STAIR activities for my students; I think they would enjoy them. Also, I would like to find the time to explore more WebQuests to use in my lessons and I would eventually like to make one. Lastly, I plan to get an iPad (for my birthday) and start exploring the world of Apps.
My long-term goals are to continue with the Master’s in Educational Technology program and to use my knowledge and love of technology inside the classroom, to inspire, motivate, and engage my high school students. I hope to one day be able to use all the fabulous tools I am learning about.
No comments:
Post a Comment